Mary Lou Thompsen, age 86, passed away peacefully at her home in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, on June 16, 2020.
She was born February 6, 1934 in Huron, South Dakota, to Vernon Ralph and Rebekah Lou (Weiwers) Martin. Following the death of her mother when she was a baby, Mary Lou was adopted by her aunt and uncle, Lucille (Wiewers) and Thomas Abrahamson, who raised her.
She is survived by her son, Dr. Philip A. Thompsen, her daughter-in-law,
Sherry Thompsen, and her dear friend, housemate, and ministry partner, Mary DeFalco.
Mary Lou is also survived by nieces Lisa (Abrahamson) Rillo and Lynn Abrahamson, and nephew Mark Abrahamson, as well as several great-nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her parents, her brother Howard Abrahamson, and her sister Hannah (Abrahamson) Grinde.
In 1952, Mary Lou married Rev. B. Kenneth Thompsen, and they worked as Christian missionaries in Mazatlán, Mexico. They later divorced.
Mary Lou earned a B.A. from the University of Minnesota and an M.A. from Arizona State University. She worked as an elementary school music teacher for over 30 years in Phoenix, Arizona, where she shared a home with her good friend Lola Brannon, who also predeceased her.
After retiring from teaching, Mary Lou began a ministry with Mary DeFalco, whom she met at church. Starting in Arizona, and later in Virginia and Florida, “the Marys” provided personal prayer and encouragement to many people through many venues. In 2005-2006, the two hosted a radio show, “Miracles for Today,” which aired on WKTO, Edgewater, blessing many. Mary Lou and Mary also graciously accepted invitations to speak at churches, Christian conferences and workshops, and to pray with hundreds of people. Most recently, they produced a podcast, “A Word of Encouragement with the Marys.” Mary Lou, along with Mary, shared the love of Jesus with everyone they met.
Always soothed by the ocean, Mary Lou enjoyed walking on the beach and taking cruises in the Caribbean with Mary, Phil, and Sherry.
A private graveside service is being held at the Edgewater-New Smyrna Cemetery.